- The route isn’t set yet – they decide it on the day, in case of fallen trees etc. You’d be amazed how many people are googling “What is the Race for Life route?”, and ending up here.
- If you don’t stretch before and after, you’ll have aching legs afterwards… Apparently, if you turn up at 09:30am, there will be groups carrying out stretching excercises together.
- You don’t have to run, you can jog or walk if you don’t feel up to it.
- You can bring along unwanted clothes, books and DVDs to donate to their stores too.
- Your supporters might want to bring an umbrella. BBC Weather for Blackeath says overcast and dry at the moment, but it feels like it might rain to me…
The Race for Life is happening on Blackheath Common in aid of Cancer Research. It is on Sunday 13th July 2008, and starts at 10:30am. You can donate here . Starting point mapped here.
Bizarre photo of painted chewing gum by flickr user salimfadhley.
Strada is probably in danger of becoming the current decade’s equivalent of the Berni Inn. They seem to be ubiquitous, cheap, and very popular. However, unlike Berni, the food is quite tasty. It isn’t going to give Chapter Two or Buenos Aires a run for their money, but if you’re knackered after work, and can’t face cooking, it’s perfect for a takeaway.
I know it’s a big evil chain etc etc, and I should probably be endorsing Blackheath’s own Sun Bo, or one of the slightly nondescript Indian restaurants, but they don’t seem to get my custom as often.
Vegetarian tip of the day – they don’t do mushroom pizzas, but they have a special code-phrase that enables a mushroom pizza… “Cotto with no ham”. Last time I tried this, the waitress told me that it was a bit silly to order a ham pizza with no ham, and it would be cheaper to make it from a margherita with extra toppings… Then she checked it, and agreed that the Cotto sans cotto was the cheaper option. The asparagus risotto is nice too.
From their site:
Opening hours: Monday to Saturday 12noon till 11pm. Sunday 12noon till 10.30pm.
Telephone: 020 8318 6644
Google Map here.